SCV Personal Injury Attorney | If Injured in a Bus Accident, Protect Yourself by Contacting a Bus Accident Attorney | The Mason Law Firm | Mason Rashtian

For more information about accidents, please visit our website at or or contact us at (661) 362-0805.

Buses, trains and taxicabs fall under a category known as ‘common carriers.’  In the Southern California area, we have numerous entities that can be labeled as common carriers, including, but not limited to:

  • Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA);
  • (City of) Santa Clarita Transit;
  • Metrolink;
  • Dash (buses);
  • Santa Monica Big Blue Bus;
  • Antelope Valley School Transportation Agency;
  • Greyhound;
  • Laidlaw;
  • Glendale Bee Line;
  • San Gabriel Transit;
  • Pasadena Area Rapid Transit System (ARTS);
  • Riverside Transit Agency;
  • Culver City Bus; and
  • Amtrak.

Under California law, a common carrier must use the utmost care and diligence of a very cautious person when transporting passengers. Sometimes, these carriers, particularly bus companies, contract with outside companies to operate their buses.  This simply means that a bus company or a City (such as Santa Clarita, Glendale, Riverside, Compton or Santa Monica) may own the buses, but the buses are operated by another company such as MV Transportation, First Transit or Veolia Transportation.

Accidents involving common carriers, especially bus accidents, are common and occur frequently.  For example, a bus may stop abruptly or take off unexpectedly, causing its passengers to fall.  A bus may get into an accident with another vehicle.  There are many examples of incidents where a passenger is injured because the bus driver closes the bus doors on an entering or exiting passenger.  A bus accident can result in serious injuries to its passengers, including whiplash, broken bones, back pain, cuts and bruises, and internal organ damage.

When it comes to bus or train accidents, there are some procedures that may need to be followed and adhered to.  For example, a claim form may have to be submitted to the City or the common carrier within six months from the date of the incident.  If you are injured while riding on a common carrier, such as a bus or train, it is very important that you get the driver’s name (write down his/her description for future use), badge number, route number, and write down the exact date and time of the accident.  Further, look for any witnesses and get their information.

Needless to say, if you are involved in a bus accident or a train accident, you need an attorney who can protect you and your rights.  Before opening his own law practice, Mr. Rashtian used to defend common carriers and bus companies. Hence, he is very familiar with accidents involving common carriers and is in the unique position of assessing and analyzing accidents from different points of view.

Published in: on March 7, 2012 at 6:01 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,